Saturday, August 30, 2014

Our first weeks in Texas

We arrived in Texas on Thursday afternoon. We were super excited to finally be in Texas. There was little time to rest since Friday was the only day that we had to get the get all the kids registered in their different schools so they could start with everyone else on the first day of school.  It was a busy day! Things ran pretty smoothly as I had pre-registered them online the week before we left Indiana. One hiccup we ran into was that Ethan was told he needed several different shots so we frantically drove around to four different pharmacies trying to get all his shots. It was a huge pain but we were still super high from being in Texas we were determined that nothing was going to get us down. And it didn't.  I took advantage of us all being together and decided it was a great time for us to get our flu shots. The kids were not super excited about it but they did it anyway.

It was so fun taking the kids around to their different schools. I never imagined that I would be enrolling my kids in Denton schools. Schools that I had grown up going to and living right next to. Grandma was a good sport and came along with us.  She had to confirm that we were living in her home and give a proof of residency. So glad that she came along. My kids adore her. 

Monday morning came quickly.  I think I was more anxious than the kids were. When I found out that we would be living with my mom for a couple months and attending the school in her neighborhood I began dreaming about my mom and I walking (or skipping) the kids to school each day. Bright and early Monday morning my mom and I got the kiddos up and walked them to school. It was just as awesome as I thought it would be. Can I just say that I love having these special moments with my family? I am so used to experiencing and doing things on my own. My family has had to adapt and that has been good for us but now things are going to be different. We live by family! I have to keep reminding myself of this because it doesn't feel real at all. Not one bit.

Meeting each of their teachers went well. They all seemed so nice and excited to have them there. I was so impressed with how calm the kids were. It's amazing how resilient kids can be.  


One of the strangest experiences was taking Abby to the same high school that I went to 20 years ago. It brought back so many memories. Everything was so familiar. I could tell that Abby felt a little anxious as we began walking into the school. The people seemed so different from those in Avon. I think that is when abby and I both realized that this was going to be more if an adjustment than we had thought originally. I left Abby with a big smile on her face. She bravely said good-bye. I must have thought about her a million times throughout the day. I said many little prayers that she would feel strong. Moving is hard, dang it.


Ethan walked himself to school.  He was so relaxed and chilled about the first day of school.  He has a gift for making new friends and just going with the flow. People love him wherever he goes. 


My younger kids loved school as well. They each were very fortunate to have great teachers. Emma especially loves her teacher Mrs. Arispe.
After school I walked up to the school and met with the kids. They were so happy. They had a great day and loved making new friends.  Kate said to me " Mom, I made 15 new friends today."

When Ethan got home from the first day of school I asked him how his day went. He cheerfully said "It was awesome, Mom.  I met several new friends like Juan, Carlos, Chenequa . . .They were so cool." 

I think the transition from Avon to Texas was the hardest on Abigail. There was quite a culture shock in coming here from Avon. There is so much more diversity in ethnicity and the kids are much more experienced. 
The first day of school, Abby text me during lunch and told me she sat by some kids that taught her the proper way to smoke weed and where she could buy it. The second day, she text me during lunch and said she set with several girls that were talking about sex with their boyfriends. The third day, she text me and said she decided to eat lunch in the hallway alone. 
Let's just say there were several tears shed that first week of school. Things are going much better now but it was an adjustment for sure.

One of the coolest things about being back home is getting to be a part of all the fun family events.
The first couple weeks we were home several cool things happened.  My cousin's son came home from his mission, my sister son came home from his mission, and my cousin's son left on a mission. 
That is a whole lot of  missionary stuff going on. I have loved that my kids get to be a part of this and get to hear the sweet testimonies of these young men. It is so inspiring for all of us. I love the great examples that the older cousins are setting. 



My mom made me a cake for my birthday. What a treat. It's these small kinds of things that are making me real happy.
Ethan has sure enjoyed being with all of his boy cousins. It seems like they are making up for lost time. They act like a bunch of goobers. I am sure that they are making up for lost time.
I debated taking my big kids out of school the day that my nephew returned home from his mission. I am so grateful that I did decided on taking them. It was such a neat experience to see my sister's   family all reunited again. Chase, the older brother and Cameron,the one returning, had not seen each other for four years due to their missions. What a sweet family. I am so happy for my sister and her husband Scott. They were both being  beaming.

Happy momma

Chase and Cameron after a 4 year separation.





My dad with his sister Betty.

Don't they look sad that they had to miss school?

I am related to some of the most amazing women.
Tiffany, me, LeLe, Danielle, and Rona

Proud grandma and grandpa with Cameron
My cousin Andy and his wife Rona with 2 of their 3 sons. Caleb, who just returned from his mission and Brendan who is just about to leave. Brendon went through the temple and we were all there to celebrate this special day with him. Afterwards, we ate at my favorite mexican restaurants. It was a super special night.


No comments:

Post a Comment