My mother-in-law called today reminded me about Ethan's birth. We moved 2 weeks before his due date of Feb 1st from Eugene,OR to Draper,UT. When I expressed my concerns of having an overdue baby my doctor swore to me that I would be the first one on his list to induce IF and when my body was ready. That's the clincher right there. My baby's never want to come out. Abby was 8 days late weighing 9lbs 3oz. I was so scared I would have another big baby. A week before my due date I went up to the hospital and was given "the gel" that they put on your cervix to help naturally induce you. Didn't work. I tried caster oil (don't recommend it), I tried lots of walking, using my breast pump (that was weird), swinging on a swing and other things people said I should do. (No details on this one, my mother and mother-in-law read my blog) Nothing worked. My mom and dad were scheduled to fly into town a week after my due date, which seemed totally reasonable. My due date came and went, no baby. 8 days after Ethan's due date I went in to see my doctor. He had told me to pack my bags for the hospital and plan on being induced no matter what that day. I call all my family and friends and shared the great news. We show up at the hospital, bags in hand ready to have a baby. The nurse kindly told me that there were no empty beds. "Go have lunch with your husband and we will call you when there is one available" she says. Lance and I go have lunch. We walk around the Provo mall and Target. By now it is past dinner time. I call the hospital and the nurse tells me they're still full.
"There is a full moon tonight, sweetie." she explains. I am so exhausted from the roller coaster of a day. I call my doctor and get his nurse. She calmly says
"There is no way that we can get you in tonight, just go home and enjoy the weekend. We can induce you Monday morning."
WHAT???? That is a problem, lady. I am already 8 days late and my parents are leaving on Monday morning. I was told I would have this baby TODAY!
"I am so sorry, honey. We will see you Monday morning."
I remember sitting in the mall parking lot having a break down. Sounds dramatic I know but if you have ever been overdue due you know how miserable it feels. My sweet husband says "Let's say a prayer." Fine I say, but you better say it. Afterward he suggest going to Bed, Bath and Beyond to look for a nice feather pillow to help me sleep more comfortably that night. "Whatever, that's fine, you can go look but I am staying in the car. My face is all blotchy and I need to call our families and let them know we are coming home." I sat there in the car feel so depressed and my phone rings. " This is nurse Patty up at the Provo hospital, are you still close by? If you can be here in the next 5-10 minutes we can get you a bed, HURRY!" I ran up to the windows of Bed Bath and Beyond and began banging and motioning Lance to come now. I have never undressed so fast in my life. Nobody was going to send me home now. The nurse came in and said " I don't know how you did it but you were at the bottom of the list to be induced when your doctor called in and said move her to the top ." I was so happy. What a long day. Just recounting this gives me anxiety.
This was the only delivery I was given my epidural before they started me on pitocin. I never felt a single contraction. Ethan came 6 hours later and was a dream baby. I fell in love instantly.
| Ethan is so tender with our babies. He used to sit and hold Kate while she was crying and say "It's OK, your big brothers here." |
| Ethan is a goof ball. He loves to tell jokes and make people laugh. I love his corky sense of humor. |
| I am so glad that Gavin has a wonderful role model like Ethan. |
| Ethan volunteers almost every night to put Gavin to bed. He loves reading to him and then singing a few songs. |
10 things I love about Ethan are:
1. His spiritual maturity. He gets it.
2. I love his gentle disposition. He doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body.
3. He can be extremely thoughtful. (write love notes to me, bring me breakfast in bed, rub my feet after a long day, asking "Mom what can I do to help you?")
4. I love his laugh.
5. He is a fantastic artist.
6. He is a wonderful story teller. He loves to make others laugh.
7. He is so handsome. I love his green eyes.
8. I love his desire to do what is right.
9.He is extremely loyal and has lots of integrity. He would never lie.
10. A total gentleman.





Happy Birthday, Ethan!!! Holy cow does Gavin look like his big brother!
ReplyDeleteWhat a handsome guy! Look out ladies!
ReplyDeletehappy birthday ethan
ReplyDeleteAH! I love birthing stories. They are so emotional! Any woman who's ever been in labor can relate to this! E-Train is such a stud of a kid. Kisses.
ReplyDelete