Monday, February 7, 2011

Library Night

Because of the storms, we have had so much time together as a family and more time to relax, dance, watch movies, read books, blog :), look through old pictures and just hang out.  It has been so refreshing. It makes me question why it is not like this more.  Why aren't we home more?  What can be so important that we choose to let it take away from our family time?  Nothing really.  I guess sometimes I get confused and feel pressured to make sure my kids are involved in sports, music, school and church activities, play dates, etc.  I know as they get into high school they will be gone much more but for now. . . I am going to try and keep it as simple as possible.

One of my favorite talks is by Dallin H Oaks- Good, Better Best. I think I need to read it again. He talks about using our time wisely by choosing the "best" things rather than the "good" things. 

Now having said all that,  I must say that I still appreciate the 8 hour school days.  Absence make the heart grow fonder.  I was excited for school to be back in session.  Everyone seemed to be getting a little more short-fuse towards the end of the week. 

We have a neat library 5 minutes away so one night we went there to hang out. It was a nice break after being ice in our homes !!!!  The kids love the computers the most. It amazes me how even Gavin can use the mouse correctly. 
Kate made a craft at the craft table. A snowman, I think ?



2 comments:

  1. i have always loved that talk, too! but i can't seem to get my hubby to agree. we're in way too much, even for homeschoolers. i love the evenings we are all justhere together and read or something. i need to read that talk again, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (That camera takes some sweet pictures...love the lowlight ones on the post below!)

    I want to go re-read that talk now...sounds like some advice I could use. I'm feeling the pressure! I think the hardest part is finding the right balance.

    ReplyDelete