Tuesday, April 12, 2011

School Bus Love

Over the past 6 months Abigail will come home a little down every few days.  I can just see it in her face that she has had a rough day. After several questions she finally breaks down and tells me how she has been getting teased by this girl on the bus named Sam.  Sam and Abby are friends most of the time but sometimes Sam will take her back pack and start pulling things out waving them in front of Abby while say," You want this, Abby? Too bad you can't have it." as she yanks it away. Abby has tried to move away from her and that only aggravates her more.  She starts saying mean things and making everyone laugh.  I told Abby to turn her ipod up and ignore it all. 
I tried to explain to her that Sam is only feeling a bit insecure herself. Making fun of others makes her feel better.  She is the one who is really hurting and needing attention.  I jokingly (but half way serious) said "Abby remember we are supposed to pray for our enemies."
The next week Abby invited Sam to come over and hang out.  I was a little surprised but proud of Abby for forgiving her "enemy". They ended up having a great time and Sam was a sweetie.  I even heard her say once "Abby you do everything good." I think she really like Abby.
Yesterday at church, Abigail bore her testimony.  She explained how she first prayed for Heavenly Father to make Sam stop teasing her.  Sam never stopped teasing her so Abby changed her prayers that she would be able to have compassion for Sam. Abby expressed that now when Sam teases her she doesn't feel sad she feels compassion for Sam and can see that she is the one who needs a friend.

Abigail and Sam
I thought it was a great reminder how when sometimes we feel like our prayers are not being answered it's not that they are not being answered we just need to ask in a different way.  I love that Abigail was able to see how the Lord can change our attitudes if we are humble and willing.

4 comments:

  1. Why am I crying right now??? that was such an awesome story! Thanks for sharing! What a great example Abby is to her friends and us! Good job Mom!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've gotta be such a proud momma! Way to go Abby! She is an amazing girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously...Abby's testimony on Sunday made me bawl! What a mature girl that Abby is. This story is a great example for us all!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She has been wise beyond her years since she was little. She is something special and we miss you all!

    ReplyDelete