Friday, July 15, 2011

Nauvoo with Avon Youth Group

As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormon) I was taught about the pioneers Mormon Pioneers and how they were driven out of several states in the early 1800's because of their religious beliefs.  If it were not for their diligent faith, we as Latter Day Saints Mormons would not have the gospel as it is today.  They gave up their homes, their lives, the lives of their husbands, wives, babies, and other loved ones.  They loved their God. They believed that Joseph Smith was a true prophet and were willing to sacrifice at all cost.

Religious groups in the community felt it was blasphemy for Joseph Smith, who was  a 14 year old boy at the time of his first vision, to claim he had such spiritual experiences as seeing an angel and God the Father and Jesus Christ.  I can understand how that sounds strange. But that doesn't mean it is not true.

It's interesting how the things you are brought up hearing about you just except. If you think about many of the bible stories they are too sound strange and out of the ordinary.  Like Moses parting the Red Sea, sounds crazy or Noah ,and the whole earth flooding so he built an arc with 2 of every animal.  The bible is filled with stories like this. Miracles. We believe them because they are familiar and when we read them we feel that they are true. The stories of the early pioneers and Joseph Smith are easy for my to believe not only because I have heard about them all of my life but I also feel they are true. I feel the Spirit as I read the Book of Mormon which was translated by Joseph Smith.

One of the main differences Mormons have with other Christians is that we believe that just as in the biblical times God has given us prophets to guide us NOW.  The prophet today, Thomas S. Monson is a spiritual leader (almost like the pope). He gives spiritual guidance. Nothing crazy. Mostly, he warns against dangers that will destroy our family and ourselves in these latter days. I have know that because I choose to listen and heed his counsel my family is blessed. We are stronger as a family and as individuals, no doubt in my mind. 

The  youth group in our church decided we would make the 5-6 hour drive to Nauvoo, IL (which is one of the locations the early Saints were driven from) and then to Carthage (were Joseph Smith, the prophet at the time was killed by angry mobs). It was great to learn more about our pioneer ancestry.  I loved being there for the first time with my Abby.

Outside of Carthage Jail.
The room and window Joseph Smith shot.
Our group stayed in the Nauvoo House.

2 comments:

  1. I love Nauvoo, we were able to visit there several times while living in the Midwest. What a neat experience to be there with Abby.
    I also LOVE your new pictures, your sil does such a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've never been to nauvoo, but having ancestors who lived there and were forced to leave, it has a special place in my heart. i was so excited when they announced the rebuilding of the temple there (totally cried). just look how far we've come and what a wonderful foundation was laid for us by the faith of those who lived and left there so long ago.

    ReplyDelete