Friday, August 19, 2011

One on Two time

As I was getting the kids onto the school bus this morning I saw my neighbor who was walking to the park with her two young kiddos.  I have never been much of a planner. In fact, I thrive on being spontaneous and having things a little chaotic. I like to take each day one at a time and see how I am feeling.  (I kind of have commitment issues sometimes.) The weather was absolutely perfect, mid-80's and overcast so it didn't take much for me to decide I should join her, but first I had to grab my camera :)

When people tell me that these are the best days of my life I figure this is what they are talking about.  The taking walks while holding hands, playing at the park and getting to push the swing over and over, reading books and singing before nap time, and teaching a child how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Not necessarily the potty training, insane amounts of laundry, crayon on the walls, spilled milk at breakfast, and whining.  I am not sure how much I will miss those things.  

Warning- Sarah's reflection time:
It has been very fulfilling to be able to stay home with my kids before they are old enough to head off to school.  I feel fortunate to have been able to do this with all of my children. Even on my hardest days I know there is nowhere else I would rather be (other than maybe a pedicure and lunch every once in a while.)  There are times when I wish I could develop myself in certain areas but then remind myself that I am doing what is most important right now.

I love thinking about how no one on this planet knows them as well as I do. I know exactly how they like their sandwich cut, I know what their favorite books are to read, I know their favorite songs to sing, I know when they are having a rough day and need extra hug, I know when they are missing dad who is at work.  I guess you could say that I am a "know- it-all" when it comes to my kids. I take pride in that.

Just so you know, everyday is not all perfect and rosie. Oh no, it is not at all. In fact, usually there are just moments of the day that are perfect or tender. Other than those moments there are a lot of chaotic, teeth clenching and wanting to pull my hair out moments.  Patience "growing pains" (as I call them) are felt much more often.  It's just that I am in a state right now where I am realizing that being home with them everyday will not last forever like I thought and felt it would as an young mom. I guess I am getting "older" and "wiser". ha, ha
 
Anyway, all that came from me taking a few pictures of us heading to the park this morning.

We stopped and fed the fish at the pond.
We came home and ate fish sticks and strawberries with whipped cream. Kate told me I was the best cook ever. I wish kids stayed this easy to please forever.

2 comments:

  1. You make me want to be a better mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of Gavin holding your hand. That is a treasure. I also love your insight about motherhood...as always! You are great.

    ReplyDelete