A couple nights ago I felt little hands on my side and a little voice say "Mom, I had a nightmare." It was Emma (our 7 year old). I looked at the clock and saw 2:45 am. Ugh, I thought as I walked her back to her room. I crawled in her bed and cuddled up next to her. I was starting to dose off as I laid there next to her warm body. I heard a thought
"You should say a prayer with her." Oh, but I am in here with her. She is fine now. The thought came again that I needed to pray with her. I asked Emma if she wanted me to say a prayer.
"Yes!" she quickly answered.
So there we were at 3:00 am in her bed asking Heavenly Father to help her feel calm and know that He was nearby. Shortly, after that I left the room and was back to sleep.
The next day I asked Emma how she was feeling. She said that after I left her room the night before, she immediately started to feel better so she said a quick prayer to thank Heavenly Father, right then. I told her I was proud of her for remembering to thank Him. Later that night we were saying our family prayers and Emma was asked to say the prayer. I noticed that she mentioned she was thankful for prayer. It reminded me of our experience the previous night so after the prayer I asked Emma to share what had happened. (When any member of our family has a neat experience or a learning experience I like to have them share it with the family if they are comfortable. I have really seen the example that they can be for one another. )
Emma began to share the story with the other kids and as she did she began to cry. I was surprised at the emotion. She explained how she felt and how she knew the Holy Ghost had comforted her. She was happy to remember to thank Heavenly Father. The other kids, especially Gavin and Kate, just sat and watched her. They were not sure why she was crying. I asked Emma why she felt so emotional and she said "because I feel the Holy Ghost." It was a tender little moment here at the Martin home as we discussed our feelings.
I am grateful for that prompting I had to pray that night. I know that I could have soothed my little girl that night but the lesson she learned was far more important than that. She is one step closer to understanding the love her Father in Heaven has for her. She understands a little more of the faith that I have in His ability to calm our minds. and bring us peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment