Sunday night we had one of Lance's friends from work over for dinner. It was great for Lance and Bruce to catch up after not seeing each other for nearly 7 years. We got into a deep conversation about church (Bruce is Catholic) and parenting our young kids. While we were chatting Ethan and Abby took the kids downstairs to play, then they cleaned up dinner and put the kids to bed. I was so grateful for their willingness to serve. We didn't have to ask them to help they saw the need and were all over it.
Monday night- Kate woke up with a fever and sore throat. 3 of my kids had dentist appointments after school. We didn't get home until after 6:15. We ate a quick dinner and had a little family night spiritual lesson (watch a video on Christ birth). We had a yummy treat and then we were off to bed.
Tuesday - Kate woke up feeling fine. Gavin and Kate participated in a Christmas show at their preschool. Gavin wet his pants while on stage. I don't think anyone noticed. Abby had a chamber concert. Kate starts to feel sick again.
Wednesday- Kate wakes up with fever and super tired so we rested most of day. Abby had a 5:00 cheer game for basketball. Ethan had a scout pack meeting that was for the family. He received his Weblos badge. WooHoo! We went to a close by nursing home and sang Christmas songs. It was so sweet to watch these boys sing and the older folks just sat in awe.
| I had just come from Abby's cheer game. So proud of Ethan and Lance, for that matter. Go scouts. |
| Emma decided that just singing was too boring so she livened things up a little. Whip that hair, Emma. |
I must say that I have always had a love for the people that live in nursing homes. Seriously, I know that sounds weird but I gain so much perspective when I go visit these people in their stage of life. It helps me to feel grateful for all that I have. It started at a early age.
When I was in middle school I lived right around the corner from one. It was one of the few places I could walk to. So my friends and I would walk over and make great friends. We would continue to visit them until they would soon disappear.
When I was in college in Provo, UT I found another nursing home to visit. I made some really neat friends. It is funny because I remember Lance and I kind of breaking up one time. I was so heart broken. I couldn't shake it. Nothing was getting my mind off of my heart break. The thought came to my mind to go visit my friends in the nursing home. As I looked into my friends eyes I started to forget about my troubles. Driving away I felt so much gratitude for my small trials.
One neat memory I have is of giving several of them my wedding announcement. The next time I visited one of the little old men,Tom, had it framed and displayed in his room. It was so sweet.
When Abby was born we had moved right next to this particular nursing home. Abby and I would walk over there. They loved Abby. She was not so crazy about them. As they would talk with her she would have the look of fear on her face. We would often leave with her screaming.
Being close to someone at this point in their life can be very spiritual. I remember one man named Dallas that was days away from dying. Thought he might die as we visited. He was alone in his room just looking out the window, motionless. I had watched him slowly decline over the last few months. I talked to him about where he was about to go and how wonderful it would be. As we sat there talking a tear rolled down his cheek. I knew he believed what we were talking about. It was such a tender moment that I will always remember.
Here is a page from my scrapbook at the time. Beverly and Tom holding baby Abby.
Thursday - Kate doesn't have fever but is tired today. We take Gavin to preschool and then come home and snuggle. I go to Emma's winter play at school during the day. She rocked it.
| Because of Emma's toothless smile she was chosen to sing "All I want for Christmas are my two front teeth" |
| Here are all the kids wishing for the same thing... two front teeth. |
| Emma and her awesome teacher, Mrs. Cook. |
| Shania, Joy, Hailey, Emma and Amiah |
Abby has another Chamber concert at the same time Emma has play. Lance goes with Emma and I go with Abby. This is the complete Chamber group. Abby had to audition for it. She is pretty busy with all her extracurricular activities. We are so happy that she is sticking with the violin.
![]() |
| Abby has been talking about this cute boy in her class forever. Here she is trying to show me Zack Leech. |
You can kind of see Abby here.


What a nice relaxing week you had. ;-) Dang girl!! The gum in the hair probably would've tipped me over the edge. You look so calm.
ReplyDeleteThank You for posting those pics of Beverly and Tom...I didn't know you had those!! It's funny because I was just thinking about them this week and when we used to go visit. Remember when Beverly told us she and her husband got a pet monkey? So many funny stories. I think its because they just finished a Beehive Home down the street.
Hope this week is a bit calmer for you. ;)
hey I understand your pain with the trying to lose weight. I have been trying for years now. I know that I do look way better when I workout consistently so I try not to worry about numbers and concentrate on toning and energy levels. You always look beautiful and very happy btw!
ReplyDelete