Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Chores for the kids

Several people have asked me about the chores we have our kids do each day. I thought I would share how we have divided the responsibilities up around our home. Heaven knows there is way too much for just mom and dad to do plus what good would it do for us to do everything for our kids. We would be robbing them of the opportunity to learn how to work and take care of a home which they will one day have for themselves.

I sat down one afternoon and made a long list of all the things that have to be done around the house and started splitting it up among us all according to age and ability.

I have a firm belief that kids are happier when they are expected to help out around the home. It may be a little hard starting them off but it will only get easier and it is better the younger they are.  My kids are proud when they have worked hard and cleaned a room or a toilet or window. Seriously, they are beaming.  There are definitely those days were they moan and groan but once they realize this is their job no matter what, they start do it without complaining.  I make a big deal about how good they did and how much it helps me and we are all happy.

In a page protector I have each child's Chore list for the week on ones side and on the other side a list of things they are expected to do each day (this is same for each child other than two youngest).
Another thing we are doing that I think is worth mentioning is- Consequences. I get so tired of having to ask the kids to do things over and over. Lance and I sat down with the kids and talked about how good and bad things deserve a consequence. If we catch them being super patient with their sibling, helping out without being asked or simply having a good attitude, we want to reward them.  Likewise, if we are having a child talking disrespectful, whining, or not doing their chores then we want to have a consequence.  We had them decide on several consequence for different levels both good and bad. Depending on the act we give a consequence to match. So lets say it is something small like talking nice or good attitude we go with level 1. If it is something like getting color purple on their behavior chart all week at school that would be level 2 or even 3.  We have this hung up as a reminder and available to hold accountable.

I usually give them one reminder that a consequence will be given the next time I have to remind them to get ready for bed, brush their teeth, do home work . . .etc.  It has helped me to stay calm and less frustrated.

5 comments:

  1. you could not have posted this on a better day! Been thinking and thinking about what to do about punishment/rewards...duh. A consequence chart! Brilliant. You just helped me a TON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is soo great! We have been mulling over how to do rewards/consequences as well. This chart made my day! :) I do have a question though...how do you decide which consequence or reward they get since their are 3? Do they choose? Do you choose? How does this work?
    Lastly, wondering what camera you use. I am in the market for a new one and can't decide which one...the one I have been looking at is the Canon 60D, but also wondering if I should make the investment to the 5D...I need help from someone who values their pictures as much as I do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Your house sounds like a well-oiled machine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you said yes when I asked you to be my wife. Just noticed we don't have morning prayers on their daily list. Love you more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!!! You must have posted this post my life coaching session with Lance. I am telling you...you two have a huge opportunity here!!!

    ReplyDelete