Friday, March 2, 2012

Normal Craziness

Gavin spilled his rice Krispies all over kitchen floor.
I think it was the next morning that Emma spilled a gallon jug of apple juice a.k.a. stickiest liquid there is (again!).  In her defense it is a large jug for a young girl to get out of the fridge. She dropped it and the, completely full bottle cracked and went EVERYWHERE. Under the fridge, in the fridge, in the pantry, in our mudroom and all over the kitchen floor and cabinets. I even found traces in our living room the next day. I was upstairs and heard it all happen. Ethan tried to clean it all up before I could even see it. He did a great job. I think he may have saved Emma's life that morning. I didn't come down to see it right away. I stayed upstairs until I could handle the situation calmly. What more could happen, really?

Things have been good for the Martin family, lately. Lots of good old fashion family time. Abby just finished cheer so that means 2-3 nights just freed up each week. Things seem much calmer. We are on a break from sports right now. I have enjoyed getting to have all my kiddos home every night. I know that one day I will not have a choice on this but for now . . . I do. While I do feel like sports are important to develop confidence and skills it comes with a high price. It means giving up relaxing, unstructured time together. We have been able to eat dinner most every night together, there is time to play games, dance, play with neighborhood kids. I can say that i am much happier.

It is so fun to watch the kids interact. I have particularly enjoyed watching Ethan and Abby lately. They have always been very close. Maybe, it is because they are only 2 years apart and enjoy being the oldest kids in our family. Abby gives Ethan fashion and girl advice.  "Ethan do not wear those socks with those shoes." or Ethan you have got to keep your toenails trimmed, girls do not like that."  Ethan is good about letting Abby "boss" him around. She has always been so good at using her words to get what she wants. Ethan doesn't even realize she is working her magic. She is a pro.

The two of them were playing silly games this last Saturday trying to push the other one over.










Another day I was taking pictures of the kids as they were doing their homework. It is absolutely on of the craziest hours around our house.  Gavin is usually waking up from his nap and is super grouchy and needy. The kids need help with homework or lots of gentle reminders to stay on task, and I am trying to get dinner fixed. So why was I taking pictures at this time...for some weird reason I don't want to forget it. I want to remember all the stages (both good and bad) of this motherhood ride I am on. Ethan and Abby were teasing one another and I was trying to capture it.





I asked Ethan if I could take a picture of him and he kindly submitted. Abby was in the background directing criticizing him so I had her come show him how to do it. (my ploy for getting a picture of her,also)


That is one intense face my son has.

Abby wacked him hard.
 So then I had Emma come "show" them how it was really done. She is a natural in front of the lens. So relaxed. Too bad she typically hates me taking her picture. Bribery works like a charm.



Poor Kate has had a rough couple weeks. First she got a rash with bumps all over her body. That lasted a week and a half . She looked like she had acne on her face and body. Then she got pink eye. Then she got the stomach flu. Then she got pink eye in the other eye. Poor thing missed a week at school. We are glad she is back to herself.

1 comment:

  1. oh martin family how I miss you guys!!!! love the apple juice accident and that ethan came right to the rescue. love lance's black spandex pants. love abby and ethan's relationship. and can I just say that it sounds JUST like yours and mark's 25 years ago!!!! HAHAHAHAH!!!! love you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete