Thursday, June 20, 2013

Porter Family Vacation {Part Three}

Day 6: Church with Fayette Ward, drive to Niagara Falls,NY (2 hours away), take Maid of the Mist boat tour, drive to Kirtland Ohio (3 hours away)

We woke up early so that we could attend the Fayette Ward church services Sunday morning. The building was located right next to the Peter Whitmer Sr. cabin. It was their Stake Conference so we only stayed for sacrament meeting.



Next we drove 2-3 hours to Niagara Falls, NY. We took the Maid if the Mist Boat Tour, which was incredible. We rode up close to the Falls.









We then drove 3 hours to get to Kirtland,OH. We got in late and went to bed.

Day 7: Sleep in, visit Isaac Morley Farm, visit John Johnson Farm (Hiram, OH), Stone Quarry (where saints got stone used to build Kirtland temple), dinner at Texas Roadhouse

We began Monday morning at the Isaac Morley farm. Again the weather was drizzly and in the low 70's. I am not sure what it was about this place but we all loved it. The senior missionary that was there was wonderful. We felt the spirit strong there.  

(picture from lds.org site)





After lunch we drove to the John Johnson Farm.











  








Stone Quarry




We headed back to the hotel for a quick nap and then went to dinner at the Texas Roadhouse. Afterwards, we went back to the hotel and met in my Mom and Dad's room where we chatted about our week together and shared our thoughts and insights. 

Day 8: Kirtland Temple, LDS visitor center  (Newel K Whitney Store, School of the prophets, saw mill, and ashery)

We all got packed up and started on are final day together. First, was the Kirtland Temple tour.  The Kirtland Temple was beautiful. It was neat to walk around it and see how the early saints put so much thought and energy into building it. It was such a sacrifice for them to build int those days. The Kirtland temple is currently not owned by our church so the tour was presented more like a museum tour.   

After that we went to the LDS visitor center there in Kirtland, where the Newel K. Whitney store, school of the prophets, saw mill, and ashery where located.




Newel K. Whitney Store



School of The Prophets







Kirtland Sawmill





Kirtland Ashery



Whitney home
We quickly grabbed lunch at Subway and headed to the airport to say our good-byes. It was hard to say good-bye. I loved being with my family.
It was a fun and exhausting trip. It was so busy that I don't think I was able to take everything in, at least not while I was there. I know that as I have read, especially in the Doctrine and Covenants about revelations and visitations that happened in these places I have been overcome with emotion. I can now visualize where they took place.  I have a deeper appreciation for my ancestors who paid such heavy prices to bring the gospel forward in these days. They sacrificed so much. 
 I will treasure this experience forever. We sure made lots of memories while being together.  I feel so much closer to my siblings and their spouses.  I am grateful to my parents who were so generous to take all of us together so we could 
experience it as a family. 

1 comment:

  1. this is so awesome, sarah, that you can be close to this part of the country and visit all these amazing sites! how wonderful. and what great photos, too.

    I love your bump!!! I have been thinking a lot about you and that baby lately. we're still not pregnant, but being patient. even though 3 of the gals in my family are now expecting and I want to get on the cousin bandwagon! I haven't been blog visiting in a while, so I don't know what you're having yet. but I need to so I can send you something! still so very excited for you every time I think of that baby.

    ReplyDelete