Friday, November 1, 2013

Support System

Do you want to know what makes me so happy?  Feeling overwhelmed and discouraged (because I can't do it all) and seeing the people closest to me recognize that and pull together to help.   Most all of us have been there at least once in our lives where we simply feel that each day is HARD.  
It is not a fun place to be.          
I know that these times in our lives are needed. They humble us and help build our faith by learning to rely on our Heavenly Father. Not only Him but our family and friends.  It is often in these times we recognize who loves and cares for us. My heart is full as I feel the support of my family and friends.

We have had several neighbors and friends bring our family dinner and yummy treats.  We have been given so many thoughtful baby gifts, friends have offered to help take the kids to different activities, and much much more.  Some have just given me encouragement and a friendly smile, or sat and listened without judging me or making me feel weak. I am learning a lot about service from them. 

Lance and I have such neat parents.  I was talking with a girlfriend yesterday who mentioned that she never had anyone come out and stay with her after she had her babies. I thought back to each of my kids and their early days. Both sets of grandparents were always there. They always come to help and celebrate our new bundles.  I love these memories we have together.  It is such a special time for our family and we love getting to share it with them.  

My little family has been amazing. There is not a single prayer given in our home without them asking the Lord to help Mom and baby Sam.  Ethan's prayers about make me tear up every time. They are most always looking for things to do that will help lighten my load.  The younger kids see the older ones doing this and try their hardest to do the same. 

I find sweet little notes telling me that I am a good mom, or a secret helper that has made my bed or cleaned my bathroom, they will come and chat with me while I nurse the baby up in his room, or bring dinner up to me or my water bottle, they quickly forgive their mother who may be a bit grouchy and tired. They are watching out for me.  It makes me feel like I am not alone with my struggles. It gives me such strength to feel their support.  Isn't this what family is all about?  I hope that I can be there for each of them when they are having a rough day. 

Lance has really had to pick up a lot of the slack. While I am figuring out Sam and his needs, he is helping the other 5 kiddos.  Getting them on and off the bus, checking their chores, doing homework, offering to take care of dinner, getting the the kids to and from all their activities, and listening to me talk about breastfeeding and how I am so sore.  He calls me most everyday from work to see how I am feeling and then ask how he can help me that day.  That is no easy task after a long day of early morning seminary and work. He is a champ and I am grateful I got him. He is good about not complaining.

Here are some random pictures from our week.

I love this sweet picture Lance texted me from one his many shopping trips with the girls. 

The kids have been loving playing Monopoly with Lance. 

Samuel 4 weeks old


These two got dressed and said, "Look Mom, we are twins!"


Some of our dear friends, Liz and Eric are having their first baby. 
This picture was taken at her baby shower.


Aren't these boys sweet? I think Ethan looks handsome with his glasses.
Gavin is such a goof ball with his crossed-eyes. 

Most stylish skeleton on the block thanks to Abby.
One night I had been up with Samuel a lot during the night. I was so exhausted the next morning. Lance's parents and the kids had been so kind to let me sleep in and catch up on my sleep. When I woke up around 10:30-11:00 my kids were all dressed and about to head out the door with Grandma and Grandpa.  They all had big plans for the afternoon with a dollar movie, the Halloween store, and lunch.  It was so nice to know that my kids were being taken care of. They were getting spoiled by their grandparents and they loved it. I cheerfully watched them all head out the door and enjoyed the next several hours of peace and quiet snuggling my little guy. It was a beautiful day.

Grandma send me this picture from lunch.
Photo credit- abby
Before grandma and grandpa left we celebrated Grandpa's b-day. Grandma made homemade ice-cream and pumpkin bread. We were sad to see them leave us but are looking forward to possibly having them come back around Christmas time. 
Happy 73rd Birthday Grandpa!

Sam is 5 weeks now and we are just starting to see his first smiles. 
They are far and few between but we love seeing them. He is super active and alert. 


I found this great website this week about helping your baby get more sleep. It has been a "game changer" for me.  I was struggling along each night getting up every 2-3 hours with Samuel.  Each night he seemed more and more overly-tired and excited. I was having a difficult time getting him to settle down. He was so tired and I knew it but he would not calm down and sleep. In desperation I began searching the internet at 4am (after being awake for hours).  I came across this blog with lots of info on helping kiddos of all ages get sleep. I liked the suggestions the writer gave. 

For a newborn (0-3 months) she said to do a combination of the following three things:
1.) Swaddle baby 
2.) Use white noise 
3.) Have baby sleep in swing in dark room


I was hesitant because I thought Sam hated his swing. My swing has been sitting in my living room the past month and every time I sat him in it he would cry after several minutes, but when I swaddled him, turned on white noise and laid him in the swing he quietened down and fell asleep. From that point on he has been sleeping close to 7-8 hours each night!!!!! He takes several 2 hour naps a day and seems to be in a better mood.  Hello! I can handle that. We are all so grateful for this. I even asked my pediatrician what she thought of it and she said she thought it was great. 

She sure loves her little brother. 

  I still get lots of volunteers when it is time to bathe Samuel. 
 

Lance and Ethan had a campout this weekend. They went to Turkey Run with Ethan's scout group from church. It was close to freezing at night so these boys really had to bundle up. I always love getting Lance's pictures while they are away. 


Getting ready for bed.




1 comment:

  1. sarah! I'm horrible about keeping up with people's blog... I have a hard time keeping up with my own.. however, I just sat down and read some of your most recent posts- love you. You are such a strong, smart, beautiful, godly, loving woman. I admire you so much! You are so positive and are raising such a beautiful family. I can't wait to meet baby Sam soon. He is absolutely precious. Hope things start to settle in soon. Keep on keeping on! Love ya
    aj

    ReplyDelete