Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Spring Break in Texas {Part 1}

The much-anticipated spring break 2014 finally came. We were all so ready for the mental break from school. The daily grind was really starting to get to us. Not only were our schedules getting the best of us but this brutal winter had as well.

The kids were ever so helpful in getting everything packed up. It's amazing how much we can get done when we all work together.  We pretty much had the car packed up Friday night.  Lance and I were able to go out for a quick date night Friday night.

With Abby just receiving her drivers permit she was anxious to help with the drive. I was a little nervous but knew this would be great practice time and a nice help, also. She ended up driving most of the 14 hours. In fact, I think she drove all but one hour (St. Louis can get a little tricky with construction and traffic). She did a great job!  I did, in fact love the help driving. I did lots of reading.

We woke up early Saturday morning and were on the rode around 10:00 am.  We drove 9-10 hours the first day. The kids did a great job in the car and Sam was pretty content for the most part. He did have a blowout on the way down (and on the way back).  We pulled into one of our favorite hotels located in Tulsa, Oklahoma.  We ordered yummy pizza and enjoyed playing in the pool that evening. Lots of pent up energy from being in the car.

Sunday morning we grabbed breakfast and hit the road. We pulled into Denton around 1 o'clock. That evening my whole family came over and we enjoyed dinner and warm weather. It was great to be in Texas. Home Sweet Home!




The first week we were in Texas, my brother Daniel came to visit with three of his 4 girls- Jordin, Skyler and Laney. They were so adorable. I can't get over how big they are. They loved playing with Sammy.

We enjoyed several fun sleepovers, playing outside with bugs, decorating for Easter, an Easter egg hunt, playing with g-ma's games, going out to the land, and wrestling matches. 


   




My mother is known for all of her fun holiday decorations. She has millions and millions of the bins full of decorations. When the kids come into town they beg to go up into grandma's attic where all of her decorations are. They were super giddy seeing all the fun stuff grandma had. One of the  afternoons we had a  simple Easter egg hunt with the Daniel's girls.










Grandma ringing the bell to begin the egg hunt.




  The weather was wonderful. The kids enjoyed playing kickball out in grandma and grandpa's yard. So fun watching my brothers out there with all of the kids. I love being with everyone.













  

The week before we arrived, my poor dad had a knee replacement. He was in good spirits, thankfully. He mentioned he was getting bored before we arrived. I am pretty sure we cleared him of any boredom he was feeling. He had physical therapy several times a week. 
We became good friends with his nurse, Nancy. 
I had to take a picture of my dad with his walker. This was the biggest joke because he was supposed to use it anytime he walked around the house but he NEVER did. One day while his nurse was there,  he pulled it out and was acting like he used it all the time. We all thought it was pretty funny. I had to snap a picture of the one time event.

Halfway through the trip Lance was able to fly down and be with us. My mom was so kind and really encouraged him to come. We absolutely loved having him there. It's just not the same when he's not with us. 
One of the days we took a family outing and went bowling. Why is bowling so much fun? We took Sammy's walker and propped him up right on the lane. He had a great time watching all the action. Leann and her boys met us up there also.











We had a quick trip out to the land while we were in town. I wished we could have played out there more. Time just flew by. 

We had Luke, Dylan, and Avery spend the night with us one night. The kids were oh so silly. I sure hope they can remember all these great times with their cousins. 
Kate and Avery were so cute together. They just giggled a lot. Dylan, Luke and Gavin had fun playing games and using lots of potty talk. Grandma made her yummy pancakes for everyone for breakfast. 
Mom, just so you know I made pancakes the other day and my kids told me they were not as good as yours. I try.
Here are lots of random pictures from my phone. Heaven knows I have a lot of these. I am pretty sure they could be pretty confusing if you aren't sure about what was going on. For instance, the one below of Emma wearing a mullet wig...weird, I know. But check out those donuts. They do not need an explanation. So freakin yummy!!!
Since Lance was able to fly into town we twisted my sister-in-law Amber's arm to take our annual family pictures. I know that I have to be one of the luckiest girls on the planet to have a sister-in-law that has such skill. Not only is she talented but she is super generous. I love that each year my walls are covered in her photos. 
 We drove to a nearby town Roanoke, Texas. It's this cute quaint little town. There were several cute buildings and parks. We fell in love with a restaurant there called the Twisted Root Burger. OMGoodness, their burgers were to die for!!!!!  If you live close to this town, you must take a little visit. There was also an awesome candy store called Hey Sugar. We bribed the kids with lunch and a visit to the candy store once pictures were done.  Again my sister-in-law Ambyr is awesome. I will post pictures of our photo shoot soon. 












  

That is an actual gummy bear.



After pictures, lunch and a great sugar high we drove to Mark and Ambyr's house to visit a little longer. While we were there the kids ran around playing tag in the house. Sam and Cohen had a little bonding time playing with their toys. My brother, Mark and Lance sat and listened to some of Mark's records. He has quite the collection.  It wasn't nearly long enough of a visit but I am glad we were able to visit. Any chance we get to be with these guys we have to take. 


Abby and Ethan getting in on the perla bead action. 
 To say that Mark loves his music and records is an understatement. He has been collecting records for the past several years and his collection is impressive. He has a huge variety to share. Things were a bit crazy but it really would be fun to just sit and listen for several hours. I only heard a little bit but it was pretty amazing. 


 Later that night my uncle, Vaughn was celebrating his 70th birthday. I was so excited to get to see my aunts and uncle plus cousins and their wives and kids. I just sat there in the room beaming as I watched all these people that I love so much. I really do have an amazing family. 


Kate with her cousin, Kate being photo bombed by Zac.
My cousin in law, Danielle (she is married to my cousin)  just bought the cutest little camera.  I am in love with it. Check out her great photos. I love these of the kids. They look pretty happy, huh?


No comments:

Post a Comment