Oh my goodness I am so frustrated. Gavin has been potty trained for over 2 months now. Suddenly he is peeing and pooping his pants all over again. I am talking about 3 and 4 times a day. What happened? I feel like he learned how to do it and he is deciding that he doesn't care about trying anymore.
Sunday afternoon we are all sitting around the dinner table chatting and enjoying talking as a family when all of the sudden we here trickling on the chair. It sounded like some one spilled their drink. Nope, it was Gavin just peeing away. He just sat there grinning while we all watched him dumb-founded. The day before that he had peed in his pants at least 3 times and pooped once.
I am not sure what to do at this point. I know my first instinct is to punish him, take away privileges, tell him he is not acting like a big boy but rather a baby and threaten to put him back in diapers (which I know is terrible).
I have been trying to read on the internet and in my fabulous parenting books. I am not finding very much about regression in potty training. What I have found says that I should treat it lightly and clean it up matter- of- factly. I need to remind him every 2 hours or so to go use the restroom. I should not punish him because it can become a power struggle or something he does to get attention (even if it's negative). I must not show anger or frustration.
Sounds like an almost impossible task to me. I will pray super hard today for strength to help this little boy of mine overcome this milestone.
I will be patient.
I will not punish.
I will not show frustration.
I will not show anger.
I will remind him every 2-3 hours to use the restroom.
I will take care of things matter-of-factly.
I will do all the extra laundry happily.
I will smile as I clean up his poop in his underwear.
I will look for the Lord giving me strength to overcome this.
I will remember I love Gavin a lot.
I will remember that I signed up for this role to be a mother, the good the bad, and the ugly.
Wish me luck!
Sounds like the same advice I got dealing with Malia. Don't react to the naughty but when he does go on the potty or you check his pants and they are dry go CRAZY telling him what a good job he's doing. It's hard! I'll be praying for you too!!!
ReplyDeleteI've heard some people that have the HUGE AMAZING toy that they love, be only available when they've gone potty on the toilet. If they go like he did at the table, totally aware and in defiance, back goes the toy to the bathroom shelf, until they go on the potty.
ReplyDeleteI never tried that with my kids. It was way more effective to make them clean up the laundry (have to put it in the washer) and make them spray and wipe the floor after I've cleaned up the initial mess. Sophia hated stopping playing to do that. Good luck!
Don't give up. I swear my Gavin wet his pants at least daily for about 2 months last spring while I was training him , but I just wouldn't give in. I was SO over changing diapers. He'll get it.
ReplyDeleteI love reading your posts. We love the Tamale Place too. What a great picture of you and Lance!!
ReplyDeleteHang in there. I always used to think that potty training was such an easy thing to do, but every one of my kids has been a different experience. I always take comfort in knowing that all kids figure it out eventually..thank goodness. I don't know any adults who still wet their pants!!:) You are a much more patient mom than I...Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteOH MY!! I just stumbled on your blog again, what a miracle-woman you are! Thanks for this post, I'm totally dealing with this EXACT thing with Maeli right now! Uggh! SO I will try to be patient too!THXX!!!
ReplyDelete