Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Sunday

I used to think that reading was not for me.  Friends of mine would say that they were reading this popular novel or that one. I never had much of a desire to read any of them.  If I have any free time I would usually want to play with my camera or knit, crochet, blog, or whatever else I was into at the time.  I do however love going to the library and getting non-fiction books that help me with different areas in my life. Photography, knitting, crocheting, house decor,religion, diet and exercise (Ironically, I love to read about the this subject but that is about it) and always PARENTING. I LOVE parenting books. Since that is my day job I find lots of comfort and direction from the pros. Surprisingly, I realized that I do LOVE to read. What I also realized is that I like non-fiction because you can step away and make dinner or take care of a child and not get frustrated. I have a hard time setting down a good story. I just want to read read read. 

I am trying to stretch my topics. I just read The Help and I really liked it. If you have any recommendations I would love to know your favorites.

A good friend of mine surprised me with a couple books this week. She is a mother of soon to be 7 kiddos and I think she is amazing. Anything that she recommends I know I am going to love. I am so excited to read them all. I will be giving a book review here so stay tuned.
I am reading Simplicity Parenting now.


After church on Sunday, Lance was speaking in our Single's Branch downtown so I decided to go and listen. Ah, the beauties of having a 12 year at home, finally.

During the middle of church I get a call from Abby. I go outside and she explains to me that Gavin had hit his head and was bleeding pretty bad. Thankfully, our neighbor was outside and had heard him screaming. My neighbor thought that he might need stitches but that it was nothing urgent.  After Lance spoke to the singles we quickly drove home and found a chipper Gavin running around like nothing had happened.

We called some friends from church and they walk me through what to do. We also had our good friends (he works with wound care) take a look at it. We decided that medical glue and a butterfly band-aid would do the trick. We decided against the stitches.
He's a boy, what boy doesn't appreciate a good scar?



It makes me a little more aware of the dangers that can happen when I am away. I try not to think of them all because I don't think I would ever leave the kids home alone. Thank goodness for great neighbors that were there to help keep every one calm.

2 comments:

  1. You should check out the book The Happiness Project. Its at Target ;-) Rockel and I read it this year...it's really good. Kind of a self-helpish book. I learned a lot from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should read books by Shannon Hale. She is an LDS young adult author and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE her books. I have some if you would like to read them. :) <3

    ReplyDelete