Thursday, May 3, 2012

Young Women's President

Several weeks ago the bishop came over to our home and asked if he could speak with Lance. (It is typical for the bishop to meet with spouses when giving certain calling that require a lot of support from the family)  My heart pounded as I thought about what he wanted to talk with him about. I had an inclination of what it might be. Our YW's president had just announced that she would be moving and I knew that someone would need to replace her soon.  I had recently had a some impressions a few weeks earlier that made me think it just might be what he was coming to ask and sure enough it was. He asked me to be the new Young Women's President. As tears streamed down my face I heard myself say that I would do it, of course I would.

Why the tears? Well first of all, I am scared. I have never been the president of anything. I am much better at listening and supporting the person in charge. I am not so sure about being the one in charge. I like to play around too much. Half the time I am not paying attention. 

Lance and I left for Vegas the next day and then I continued to travel for 3 weeks. I had plenty of time to think things over and wonder how I would handle this new challenge. I know that it is going to force me to be more responsible and pay attention to things a little more. 

This last week when we went on the temple trip people kept asking me things like where we were meeting or what were the plans for the evening, you know things that you usually ask the president. I would just look at them and thought to myself why are you asking me, I don't know the answers?  Then we had a little devotional were the YM pres. gave a spiritual thought and afterwards the bishop looked over at me and silently asked if I wanted to add anything (like a YW president would usually like to do). Uh no, I shook my head, quickly. What was I supposed to say. I had no clue what to say. Those are the kinds of things that I hope I get used to and will be thinking ahead for.  All in due time, I tell myself. 

I remember when Lance was called to be the bishop. The first week he was the official bishop I met him in his office during church and he had this look (he looked like he was about to be sick). He was overwhelmed and scared. I felt for him. I was so impressed that because of his love for the Lord he was willing to go through this really tough growth spurt. Not just a growth spurt but willing to give up so much of his time and comforts. It was the best 5 years of our family's life. He did learn and grow so much. It was such a good experience for our family. I would never trade it and I am sure Lance would say the same. 

Although, being a YW pres is nothing like being called to be the bishop there are some of the same insecurities. Can I do it? Am I organized enough? Am I able to lead these girls and love them unconditionally? Am I ready to have parents not like the choices that I make and get upset with me? Am I going to be able and manage my time well enough? Can I make a difference? Am I mature enough? (That one was definite no.) Am I ready to give of my time? 

Maybe!  Whatever I can't do, the Lord will help me with the rest. It may get ugly at times but the Lord knows I am going to try my best. Plus, I get help. My 2 counselors and secretary are amazing. Already they have taken huge projects like camp off my shoulders.  They are very strong women and I can't wait to serve with them.  I will keep you updated.



3 comments:

  1. if you want some ideas...let's chat!! :) I already know you'll be so dang awesome as YW President. You are exactly the kind of leader I know I would've loved at that age!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so perfect for this calling! You will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you will be great. And, don't worry about what the parents think about your choices. It's for the best interest of the girls and you. The Lord knows what they need. Lots of Love to you! You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete