Wednesday, August 14, 2013

First full week of school. Success!

We have officially completed our first full week of school. It has been a great one. Each of the kids seems to be really enjoying their teachers and classes. Abby is adjusting to high school life great. She didn't seem to worried, surprisingly. I guess there are 720 other freshman so she is not alone at being the new kid.  She said everyone was super friendly and helpful.  Ethan was so ready to be at the middle school. I think having an older sibling made it easier. Abby prepped him pretty well. She gave him an overview of all the teachers and showed him around the school. It was fun listening to the two of them talk about it.  Emma, Kate and Gavin have been on cloud nine. They absolutely love their teachers and being with their friends again.  Gavin was waking up at the crack of dawn because he was so excited. Thankfully, he is sleeping in a little more now.  I can tell that the days are long for each of them. Emotions are very high by the end of the day.  Other than that Week 1 was a success. 

 It sure has been a fun week for me as well. It is so nice to have the full day to get projects done.   I have been determined to get my photos and videos organized and backed up properly.  I have been wanting to do this for years but it takes so much time.  Guess what? I have a little time now.  It has been wonderful getting organized.  Also, I am trying to read/study my scriptures more diligently each day.  That makes such a huge difference.  Being a mother of young kids makes it super hard to really study anything.  I have enjoyed the time I have now to study different topics in depth.  Another thing is writing in my journal.  I love reading back over the years about different times in my life and how I was feeling.  I want to make it a habit to write often because I absolutely love reading it so much.  
When each of my kids were born I bought a journal for them. I tried to write little things that were happening in their lives. Little stories about funny things they were doing and saying. Also things like when they started to walk or got their first teeth.  As you can imagine, Abby's journal is full and Gavin's is pretty sparse.  I am hopeful that I can fill those out a little bit more. I think they will enjoy them as they get older.
I have played a little bit as well. I went to lunch with a girlfriend and then we went and got pedicures. I have been taking naps most days. 
I am trying to enjoy every moment of my free time before my sweet baby comes. 

Lance got me these beautiful flowers for our anniversary last week. I have enjoyed having them around all week. Flowers just cheer me up so much. I appreciate the beauty.


With school starting, it is time for seminary (early morning scripture study class for high school students at our church). Lance was asked to teach this class. It begins each weekday at 6:15 and runs for an hour.  When Lance was first asked to teach he was overwhelmed.  The thought of studying for and teach a lesson EVERYDAY to 20 teenagers can be a big task. He quickly dug in and has loved it.  I know there will be great blessing because of his sacrifice.  How can you not grow immensely when you are studying like that. I have loved watching him interact with the youth from our church. They LOVE him. Another benefit is that it is Abby's first year to attend. Lance is constantly bouncing ideas off her and asking her what she thinks about different things.  Father/daughter bonding, isn't it great?  I still remember when my dad taught early morning seminary and I was a youth. Very special memories.

Friday morning, Gavin and I (remember he was waking up at the crack of dawn) woke up early and took the class Dunkin Donuts. They were so happy.  I love getting to support Lance and see the kids.


Gavin has been asking since the first day of school if I would come visit him at lunch.  I couldn't resist the invitation.  I loved seeing him there with his big boy lunch and all his new friends.  I couldn't stop kissing on him. He didn't seem to mind one bit. He just snuggled right up to me. In fact, he told me later that the next time I come up he wants to sit away from all his friends. When I asked him why he said they were annoying to him when I was there. (He has just learned that new word and loves to use it. I am pretty sure he doesn't know exactly what it means.)  
I wish so badly I could capture the way the kid's eyes light up when they first see me at their school. They are just beaming.  I totally remember when my mom would come up to the school and help out the teacher. It made my day to see her there.  I hope my kids remember it like that, also.  



 Well, if you come for one child's lunchtime you better be prepared to stay for the others.  I was ahppy to stay.  Kate is such a social butterfly. She always invites at least 4 girlfriends to come sit with us.  It is so fun to see her interact with them. They are super giggly and cute.  


 Last but certainly not least is my big 4th grader, Emma. She is an old pro at this whole school thing. It is fun to see her in her element. She loves her friends and they love her.  Her personality is so magnetic. She has no problem making and keeping good friends. I love her sweetness.


 After my 3 school lunch dates, I called my hubby (who was working from home) and asked him to take me out for lunch.  I love that we can do that right now. Oh, sweet freedom. We had a great time chatting about our kids, seminary, and his upcoming trip. 
Knowing that Lance was leaving in only a few short days for Scotland was starting to get to me.  Two weeks is a long time to not have him around. I am so grateful that he gets to go and have this experience with his family but I sure wish I were going with him.  I will miss him dearly.


1 comment:

  1. I love your day to day posts about life! It inspires me to get to my blog...I just need some energy. Where is it these days?? Sounds like you are enjoying your totally deserved little bit of free time!! I'm so so glad!!

    (Is that turquoise shirt from Old Navy?;) I think I'm wearing the same one!)

    ReplyDelete