Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Last Days of School

Sam woke up one morning this week with a high fever (102.9) and a huge swollen cheek. His poor cheek was so red and warm.  I immediately called my pediatrician. My doctor was not in so I met with another one. She didn't really explain what was wrong with Sam but prescribed some antibiotics. I was a little worried and unimpressed with the her diagnosis. I still felt uneasy about Sam's condition. I tried giving Sam the antibiotics 3 times and he kept gagging and throwing up. He seemed miserable and his fever remained high,  even with the Tylenol.


After the doctor he was able to take a good nap but when he woke up his face looked worse. It had gotten even more read and blistery now.   Lance was out of town and I was getting super worried. I decided to take him in to see a different doctor. Thankfully, this doctor was able to calm me down and explain things a little more. Sam had gotten a skin infection through an open scratch behind his ear (thank you, eczema). The doctor called the infection Cellulitis.  He prescribed Sam with a different antibiotic that tasted much better. The doctor said that I would need to keep a close eye on Sam for the night and then bring him in again the next day. If there was no improvement Sam would be admitted in the hospital for an IV of antibiotics.

Our current, full-time missionaries came over that evening to give Sam a priesthood blessing. This gave me peace that we were doing all that we could to help Sam get better. He slept great that night and woke up looking so much better. Thank goodness for modern medicine and prayer. That was scary.

Last days of school:

I'm pretty sure every school does a field day towards the end of the school year. The kids look forward to it each year knowing they will be able to play outside games with their friends and get wet. There is loud music playing and the kids get to run around after all the games and sign each others's 
field day shirts. 

Sam and I showed up about half way through the day and were  able to make it up to Gavin's lunch, which was what he had begged me to do that morning. Look at all his cute friends. They are hilarious to sit and listen to.

Hard to believe that my little kindergartner is now a first grader. He has really grown up this year. He is also extremely social with all his friends at school. He has had no problem making friends.



  

Emma is so sad that she is leaving the elementary school. It sure has been so nice to have my three little ones at the same school.  They all watch out for one another. Emma absolutely loved her teacher this year and is really going to miss him. She gets so attached. I totally understand. I am grateful that she has had such a wonderful experience with school. She is doing great with all her grades and has improved so much this year.  It is really neat to watch her mature academically.
  
Kate with her girlfriend Audrey.
Even though neither one of these guys looks like they are having fun, they were. I promise.
  
The Box Car races begin:
Gavin is so easy going and non competitive. He is just in it to have a good time. What a great quality. I am not sure that he even understood that it was a race.


Waiting for Kate and Emma's race. It was warm!
Kate is competitive. She is in it to win. It sure makes it fun to watch her. She won her first race. It was a super close race too. I am so proud of her.
  
Kate with her teacher and friends.
  Emma is like Gavin. She just giggled as she ran around the field. Happy -go- lucky.




A friend of mine sent me a couple pictures of Emma and her friends at field day in the morning.

Emma, Mira, and Hailey

I ran out to catch  a picture of the kids right as the bus was taking them to school. I love the energy of the kids just knowing that school is almost out!!!!

One of the last days of school Abby only had finals for half of the day so I picked her up early from school. We had a good time running errands and just hanging out. This girl is so fun to be with. I feel very fortunate to have a teenager that likes to be with me.

Sam is getting to be a pro at picking up tiny pieces of food. 


Day 3 of Sam's cellulitis
Saturday was the last soccer game of the season. The kids were so excited to receive their trophies and cupcakes. They have been talking about them non-stop. I think Gavin carried his around most of the afternoon.





Finally the last day is here!!!!!!
Waiting for the school bus with our neighbors for one last morning.
Our 3rd annual "Neighborhood Ice Cream Celebration" after the last day of school.


Valyne, Kimberly, Sarah, Leslie, Me, 
Sam (8 months) and his buddy Andrew (5 months)

No comments:

Post a Comment