Saturday, June 28, 2014

Youth Trek


Every four years our church youth group participates in a pioneer trek. Everyone dresses up in period clothing with bonnets, aprons and pioneer dresses and the men in suspenders and hats.  The youth are split up into families with a "Ma and Pa" and then asked to pull a handcart through rough terrain. It is a super neat experience to see all the youth get so involved and surprisingly be so happy as they all work together and pull hand-carts. Everyone grows super close over the several days. It brings perspective to our pioneer ancestors and all that they did. We really are so fortunate to have all the simple pleasures we have now.  I am always in awe when I think about their lifestyles and trials.  They sacrificed so much just so they could have religious freedom and peace.

I was so excited when I was asked to attend as a photographer. It was a dream come true. When they first asked me I was still nursing and wasn't sure if I would be able to go but as things have worked out I am longer a nursing woman so I was free to go.  I was very thankful that I have an awesome husband that supported me in going.  I loved getting to be there with all the youth, especially Abby. This is her first year to attend.

I couldn't help but reflect on the experience Lance and I had when we were called to be "Ma and Pa". We had our own little family of youth. It was such and amazing experience for multiple reason. I learn a lot of life lessons. I am reminded often that I can do hard things.

That particular year we had record heat with very little rain. The trek ended up being called off because the heat was so intense and kids were getting so sick from heat exhaustion.  It was an experience that neither Lance or myself will forget. It is the hardest thing I have ever done physically.

This was also the summer that our home caught on fire from lightning and then we had to move. We debated whether we should go on trek but decided to go and I am so glad we did.


This year the trek was up north close to Muncie, IN.  I wasn't able to attend the first day but arrived that evening. When I arrived everyone was gathered together for a fireside (spiritual thought) from one of our Stake leaders. It was a neat sight to see everyone sitting there listening. I wish I could have captured the fireflies that were dancing all around then.

I decided to sleep in my van while I was there at trek. It sure beat putting up and tent  each night.

Each morning it was neat to watch the campsite come to life. Everyone starting to get their fires ready for breakfast. Again, loved seeing all the youth happy and without their cell phones.




The women were given these bracelets as a reminder of their strength.


Passing through creeks pulling a cart is hard work.
Look at that cute girl pulling in front. Abby had such a cheery attitude on the trek. One of the leaders pulled me aside and told me how the group was going up a really tough hill and Abby cheered them through it. She would say things like " We love hills!" and "We got this hill. No problem." I love this girl and am so proud of who she is becoming. She is a strong girl!


The girls in Abby's group



Strawberries on the side of the trail.

The trail was super muddy. We were all covered in mud up to our knees.


Love this girl, Natalie Simpson

Natalie, Megan, and Abby
We stopped by the lake for a short break. The kids all enjoyed the cool water and washing off the mud.




One afternoon we set up camp early and had a fair. There was candle making, dancing, stick pull game, and lots more. The kids loved running around from station to station.


 "Stick-pull" was a popular game back then. Noah and Austin battling it out.

One night there was a full moon. I was not sure how to capture it with my 30mm lens. I thought this one was pretty cool but it does not even do the beautiful night justice. Besides there being a full moon, it was also Friday the 13th.
Add caption
Look at that mud!!! We seriously had so much fun digging our way through the trail.

There is mud in my eye!!!!
Here is a picture of the whole group on the last day. What a good looking group.
This was Abby's family for the 3 days. She loved her group.


No comments:

Post a Comment